Saturday 5 March 2016

Shape and texture



Here are a few process pictures of my shape and texture task. I decided to make a self portrait using ink and paper to see what effects I create combining the texture of the paper an the marks created using ink with a variety of tools. The combination of two contrasting techniques can make interesting images with a sense of depth and texture. These techniques can also be transferred into digital work by scanning in shapes and mark making. I have worked a lot recently with cut paper and collage but the addition of other media to add another dimension to my work is something exciting to explore.


I like the contrast between sharp paper cut lines and mark made using ink and crumpled paper. Ink is a great media for this technique as it creates some very interesting shapes when experimented with. I would like to try more overlapping of the contrasting textures. I would also like to use a wider variety of coloured paper as a base for a shape and texture design. Although I like some of the textures this was more of a case of trying to make the textures i had made fit the composition rather than making them specifically for a certain part of it. i don't think the design has enough depth to it and could be helped with a greater variety of tone or colour.


I thried to create more contrast in the image to make the shapes appear more solid. I think this has improved the portrait bit has had a negative effect on the shape of the face. The white dots on the eyes create a focal point for the composition and seem to bring the eyes to life. I like the detail on the lips especially the creases in the centre, the detail makes the lips appear to be a solid form rather than different layers of shape. The rectangles I added to show facial hair had a really nice jagged texture bu clash with the geometric shapes they are on that changes the shape they are applied to. I think I should have either cut the texture out or applied the ink directly yo the shape underneath. This would be a risk as if it goes wrong I cannot undo it but would create the best finished piece.



No comments:

Post a Comment