Friday 26 February 2016

Greetings From... Digital Roughs


I decided to create some digital roughs of the compositions I had sketched out. I think colour will be extremely important in this project and wanted to see how my ideas looked in full colour. I have used Illustrator a lot before but always use the brush tool with my Cintiq to control the thickness of the strokes. In the past I have never liked using the pen tool but thought this project was a good opportunity to learn how to use it properly. I used a combination of the pen tool and shape tools to make these illustrations and enjoyed the process. The more I used the pen tool the more it became an intuitive way to make shapes.


I like the trainer and flower form this piece but the piece of granite is too complicated and distracts from the clean shapes of the other items in the composition changing the feel of the illustration. I need to either find a new way to draw the granite or replace it with another object that represents the city. The trainer is the main feature of the piece and I want to find a way to make the most impact possible with this. I could try to make the shoe out of elements of the city. The shop has made a large number of trainers so I could search through to see which I could be utilise. If I can find a shoe that has a few tones of grey mixed with some flashes of bold colour it would work well.


I wanted to try and use some of the ideas we have been talking about in visual language in terms of composition. The idea of the composition is to make the trainer a focal point of the city's skyline. I like this idea as an image but feel similar things have been done before and the concept isn't the best way to showcase the city. After making these roughs I think the best way forward is to produce some more roughs starting with trainers made from elements of the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment