Friday 19 February 2016

Characters 6


I decided to try and include certain elements in all 3 of my Gifs. I wanted their to be a strong link between them and even some semblance of a narrative. I am going to use the same character but place him in a variety of scenarios. 

For my second Gif I decided to use the frog character I had drawn and pair it with the man sat at the bar. I wanted to show the mans reaction to the frog changing size until it was nearly as big as him. I worked out certain elements of the frog could remain the same the entire way through the animation but I would need to make multiples of the main part of the body to animate the frogs change of size.
I tried to make the expression of the frog quite grumpy and mean so that when he became much lager he was intimidating.

The man at the bar is made up of quite simple shapes and I didn't want to make any complicated changes to him that could alter his solid appearance. I decided to use his eyebrows to react to the frog and show his surprise.


I made the collage of the main elements of the image but left out the eyebrow and kept the frogs head and body separate so they could be moved or replaced.


This was my first attempt. I tried to use my phone held above the collage and line it up as best I could which results in a shaky animation. I think this is an interesting effect that could be useful in some instances but did not it was distracting in this context. I also felt that the animation needed some thing more. I was already toying with the idea of having the frog drinking the mans drink through a straw as it expanded so decided to set up a structure t hold my phone steady and add this new element.

http://gph.is/1KUcfso

I couldn't find a way to make a structure that would hold my SLR steady at the angle I needed to make the animation to I used a metre ruler, coffee table, kitchen cupboard, 3 boxes and some cellotape to make a structure that would hold my phone in place. My phone also has a useful function to take square photos making editing easier. Having the camera steady makes it easier to see and understand the movements of the characters in the Gif, I think the addition of the straw to make the frog drink the water really helps this animation making a more interesting composition and also expanding the story of the two characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment