Friday 19 February 2016

Charatcer 1

For the first task I chose the Feelings

Lethargic
Dispondant
Overconfident
Lonely
Impressed/ Unimpressed

Actions

Gulp
Sigh
Handshake
Facepalm
Drink

Objects

Spaceship
Computer
Glass/cup
Bomb
Bike


I enjoyed coming up with ideas using and combining these words that would fit into the format of a Gif. The format is limited to a short animation and means you have to create a concise image that communicates your ideas making the most of movement and expression. I tried to draw in a variety of different ways and got some good ideas from drawing quite freely and quickly without removing the pencil from the paper.

 My first idea was to create a highly detailed image of a character looking at a computer screen with the reflection of the screen visible in the characters glasses. Before receiving the brief I already had the idea in my head that I wanted to make a very detailed piece. I decided that this would not be the best use of the Gif format and would not push me out of my comfort zone. I have in previous projects too attached to ideas too early and not fully explored all possibilities before deciding on a final outcome. In this project I want to explore new media and make sure I take time to properly explore a range of concepts.


I like these drunk characters, I think the loose and wavy lines add to the characters and help to convey their level of inebriation. I wanted to see if there were other ways to add a rough loose quality to the characters so tried to recreate one of the using torn paper.

I don't think this works as well as the drawings. I think the loose lines and rounded shapes they are made of in the drawings are a better method to show their drunken character.

I looked at the work of Philippa Rice. She manages to instil character into her Gifs using simplified cut paper characters. I like her use of bold colours and careful consideration of movement that brings the characters to life. I need to experiment with animation as I cannot judge how my characters will work fully just based on static images. This is a new technique for me. I am used to trying to show movement using line and composition.

No comments:

Post a Comment