Sunday 1 November 2015

A Day In The Life

When i was trying to decide on which of my roughs to use as a basis for my final pieces i struggled with the colour constraints we had. I tried to use photographs to add texture to my images but thought the effects i created took away from the core messages of the images. I also wanted my illustrations to to feel crafted and to create the the landscapes myself and the use of photographs almost felt like a cop out.

I tried to use splashes of colour on a grey backdrop at draw attention to the key components of the piece, this led to problems only having two colours plus the stock of the paper to work with. I could maybe make a case that black and grey are the same colour so the colours would be grey/black, green and yellow but then which one is the stock. I felt like pushing the the limits with the colours i could use was taking away from the exercise and stopped me exploring what could be done within the constraints.


In the end i decided not to use the photographs or the splashes of colour and opted for a fully greyscale colour composition. I think this best reflects the feeling of the text. I had to try out lots of different combinations of grey to make sure all the elements of the illustrations were clear.



My first image depicts a television luring a person over the edge of a cliff using money. I wanted to illustrate the unattainable life goals that television pushes young people to achieve. Celebrity has become an occupation in its own right and television advertises a lifestyle of fame and money instead of one of hard work and sacrifice. I think the image works well without the colours i used in the earlier version while maintaining the depressing nature of the concept.


 

My second image shows a person throwing money into an already huge pile with a scale to show that their happiness does not increase with their wealth. This concept is related to a statistic in the text that says even the richest people in the world feel they need on average 25% more than they have, and then presumably 25% more than that. The main problem I had illustrating this in grey was to make sure the money looks like money. I think it is fairly clear but would have worked better id the money was coloured in yellow. I have kept the characters emotionless in terms of facial expressions to show how they have become drones to technology and wealth.




My final piece shows a mobile phone as The Pied Piper leading people away from town into the wilderness. I used the phone to represent technology leading people from all age groups away from their communities and family into loneliness. Because of the complexity to this image I struggled to find the right combination of grey tones to make everything stand out. That being said i still believe the message is clear and the main elements of the image are well highlighted.

Overall i really enjoyed this brief, working to a brief and trying to problem solve was a good challenge. This project highlighted to me the importance of the message my work portrays and the precesses brainstorming and analysing ideas. I think i got lost half way through this brief and tried to force certain ideas rather than find new ways to tackle the problem. In the end I think simplicity, clarity and tone of voice are very important in this kind of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment