Friday 13 November 2015

Self Assessment Form Draft

1.  Which practical skills and methodologies have you developed within this module and how effectively do you think you are employing them within your own practice?

I have tried to create crisp clean images to communicate my ideas using a combination of  analog and digital media. I have used Adobe illustrator to make my final pieces in two of the three briefs, I feel comfortable working with this program but still have a lot to learn. I have enjoyed generating ideas for the briefs through roughs but feel i need to dedicate more time to that part of the creative process. I spent the largest amount of time on that process in the typology brief and feel it generated the best results in terms of concept. I think creating a large number of roughs and creating multiple versions of the same concept has helped me to generate ideas that i would not have without these processes. group crits and general peer discussion has been very helpful in terms of new perspectives on my work highlighting positive and negative aspects i would not have thought of myself.


2. Which principles/ theories of image making have you found most valuable during this module and how effectively do you think you are employing these within your own practice?

Before starting this course worked with the intention to create visually appealing images often using adobe Illustrator to finish them to a high level and add a professional looking aesthetic. Since starting the course i have realised the huge importance of visual communication and problem solving in illustration. it has become clear to me that the concept and the way it is communicated to the viewer are the most important things to consider when creating an image. I have struggled at times with the idea of tone of voice and getting a balance between communicating all the information needed and producing a captivating image that engages the viewer. I want to work more on the subtleties of communication and what makes a tone of voice appropriate for a subject.

3. What strengths can you identify within your submission and how have you capitalised on these?

I think I have created some well crafted finished products during the briefs. I have tried to move out of my comfort zone while maintaining the skills that a had prior to starting the course. I draw a lot from imagination as well as from observation and reference and have tried to change the focus of my imagination to idea generation and problem solving. I have tried to create final pieces that communicate the ideas intrinsic to the brief while stimulating a thought process with the viewer, I have attempted to do this by applying the correct tone of voice combined with informative and thought provoking image making.

4. What areas for further development can you identify within your submission and how will you address these in the future?

I need to spend more time in the early stages of research and concept development to make sure i have explored a wide range if ideas and creative techniques. I need to do more artist research to better understand the techniques and methods used. I think looking more at other artists work will help me push my ideas further and take risks, I have a habit of drawing in the same way that I have for years as I know what the results will be and feel comfortable with my methods, it is a hard habit to break but I need to push further and further out of this comfort zone to improve my practice.  This idea can also be applied to trying a wider variety of media that will open up possibilities in terms of aesthetic and process.

5. In what way has this module introduced you to the Ba (Hons) Illustration programme?

This module has introduced me to the principles, methodologies and processes that are intrinsic to the course. The module has helped me get used to the way we are set tasks, assessed and how information is made available to us. The briefings and group crits have helped me become comfortable within the group and the structure of the programme. The principles and methodologies we have been introduced to have helped me understand how the programme is geared to towards professional practice.








No comments:

Post a Comment