Monday 2 November 2015

A Day In The Life Summary



Today we had a crit to look at our editorial pieces. It was good to get feedback and see if people shared my views on the strengths and weaknesses of my work. It is important to know that you are able to identify concepts that appeal to a wide range of people, these crits are a good way to develop confidence in your judgement. Of my illustrations the best feedback was for the cliff fall piece and the money pit piece however the group thought that the money pit idea needed illustration worked better with a knowledge of the text whereas the pit fall illustration was clear and easy to understand. One thing me and the group agreed on is that a some use of colour on each piece could possibly have helped with the clarity of concept.

I enjoyed sketching out roughs for this brief and brainstorming through drawing. I think i could have spent more time trying out different ideas and different compositions for each individual idea.
I tried to experiment with colour but found i kept pushing the boundaries of the brief and didn't think I could achieve what I wanted without fully breaking the constraints of the brief.

I started out drawing my ideas and used coloured pencils to experiment with colour. Once i had decided on a shortlist of ideas i made digital roughs to experiment further. I think i might have moved to this stage too early as it kind of cemented which compositions i was going to use.

I tried various digital techniques like overlaying vectored photos and digitally drawn line work but didn't think the image was clear enough to work.

From the feedback I think my concepts worked fairly well and were communicated through my compositions. I could have tried to communicate emotion through my characters rather than making then appear robotic but I liked the idea they had become drones in the hunt for unattainable wealth. 

I enjoyed this brief but wasn't entirely happy with my finished pieces. I think the concepts are good and with a few alterations could communicate the article well. I liked the article we were given and think it provided lots of options for us to work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment