Saturday 17 March 2018

Tutorial and reflection (2000 word blog 3 of 4)


During my one-to-one tutorial we looked at my work up to this point, focussing mainly on the Carmelite Prize brief. It helped to highlight changes that would benefit current briefs as well as what I should be doing to improve my practice in general. It was pointed out to me that the main character in the Carmelite Prize text is supposed to be a sea otter but my illustrations don’t make this clear. The character looked more like a teddy bear than anything else. I have been concentrating so much on trying to illustrate a character I thought looked cute and cuddly, that I have lost focus on what I was trying to depict. As soon as it was pointed out to me it was glaringly obvious, but without being told I don’t think I would have noticed. This highlights the importance of taking a step back and evaluating work at regular intervals. More general suggestions to benefit my practice were to:

- experiment more with colour and create juxtapositions between warm and cold tones
- experiment more with characters’ positions and poses which can feel quite rigid in compositions
- create a range of animal characters to form part of portfolio
- look at how characters could be used in advertising as well as children’s books

I have just finished my final piece for the North Bar and St Gemma’s Hospice ‘Tintin’ brief. I have enjoyed this brief and it has been a useful side project alongside illustrating books.  It felt like an opportunity to try out ideas with more freedom and less commitment to a particular process or idea. I think it is a good idea going forward to have small personal briefs running alongside larger ones as a means of testing out both idea generation and process, with an end goal to act as motivation but broad enough to allow experimentation. Aside from developing my practice, briefs like this provide an opportunity for work to be seen by a wider audience. As part of a portfolio, pieces of this kind demonstrate my ability to produce work other than children’s publications. I think it is important not to pigeon-hole myself too much. I am really enjoying working on children’s books and I see it being the main focus of my practice going forward, but there are a number of other possible applications of my work such as advertising, animation, gift cards/stationary and editorial. I want to create work that appeals to both adults and children and develop a greater understanding of how to tailor my work to suit each target audience. 
I have just finished a very last-minute brief for the Templar Prize. I only found out about the prize with 10 days until the submission but I wanted to take part in the competition as a way to experiment with creating work to a very strict time scale. The main benefit I got from this brief was a better understanding of roughing out compositions. I didn’t have time to add much detail to the pages and found that having that constraint forced me to think differently about my illustrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment