Sunday 11 March 2018

Another competition brief

I have just found out about another children’s book competition brief. The brief is to write and illustrate a children’s book aimed at children under 12 that is centred around dragons. The deadline is the 20th of this month so I only have 10 days to work on this brief. Normally I wouldn’t enter but I think working to a quick deadline will benefit my practice. I have an idea that would suit this brief that I would like to write and illustrate. The brief asks for a completed cover for the book as well as one completed spread. The rest of the book is to be submitted as roughs. As long as I can put my idea into a story book format and rough out ideas quickly I think I can complete this brief to a high standard in time for the deadline. The book has to be 32 pages long and page dimensions must not exceed 400mm in height or width.

My story is based on something my grandad used to do. There was a grate on the page near my house that he used to tell me had a dragon living under it. I want to write and illustrate a story where there is a young dragon living under the grate that grows up and gets bigger as the child grows up. The book will not address whether the dragon is real or just part of the child’s imagination. As the child ages he sees steam rising from grates in different locations. The thought of the dragon is comforting to the child and reminds him of his grandad. The two unlikely friends never meet but the dragon seems to watch over the child/man throughout his life representing the childhood memory of his grandad.

No comments:

Post a Comment