Monday 5 February 2018

Smaller narratives- personal brief

One of the things highlighted to us during the Hanbury Symposium was the importance of showing our own personality through our work. We all have individual experiences and perspectives that help to make our work interesting. It is often easy to fall into the trap of following trends and trying to work like other people. I want to use this module to work on my own stories. I already have two larger books that I want to enter into the Macmillan prize but I think it would be good to break up these larger projects with some smaller, quick stories that explore my own experiences and perspectives.

I had an idea to create a zine about how we all view spaces differently and find comfort in a wide variety of surroundings. I grew up skateboarding from the age of 11 and spent a lot of time in skate parks or even just empty car parks and have fond memories of these places, to the point that open areas of tarmac seem quite appealing, it changed the way I view the world around me. I didn’t see walls and handrails I saw the opportunity for tricks. Being in England with the lovely weather I spent a lot of time hiding from the rain under skate ramps or in underground car parks. We had names for parts of the city that only skateboarders knew. I want to make a book that explores this perspective and how it influence the rest of your life. This could be the first of a series of books that could address other people’s experiences and the unlikely places they remember fondly.






No comments:

Post a Comment