Friday 14 April 2017

Text




I looked at examples of children's books to see how illustrators use text. In some recent project I have made text using a number of processes like cut paper, drawing and making lettering fro Blu Tac. My main focus for this project was to make sure the lettering was as clear and easy to read as possible as the book is aimed at children who will be learning to read. The text in these three books varies in the way it was made and the aesthetic created by it but they are all bold and stand out clearly against the background. I have had mixed results when making text by hand recently and wanted to make sure the lettering was there solely to help tell the story. The way the story is worded is quite repetitive and helps set the tone and pace of the narrative.

"I look like a polar bear"

"I have teeth like a polar bear"

"I sound like a polar bear"



I chose a bold, simple font for the lettering and chose a dark colour that matches some of the darkest tones in my illustrations. I wanted the text to stand out but not overpower the rest of the image and look as though it was separate.  

No comments:

Post a Comment