Tuesday 20 October 2015

Line

 Today we looked at the different qualities of line we can use to change the our illustrations in a multitude of ways. I tend to use thin fine liners to build up thicker lines with varying widths. I think this method has a lot of positive effects on my work in terms of a crisp clean finish and a high degree of control over line width and shape. the problem is that it doesn't really allow for loose expressive lines that help create a feeling of movement or form. I think i need to find a balanced combination of the two using faster looser strokes to plan out my sketches and precise built up lines to deal with fine detail.



 The first sketch i did was with a brush pen. I like some of the lines especially the feathers on the griffins face and the stripes on the body. I am so used to block shading all my drawings that it was difficult for me to stop myself. I put too much detail on the front leg and the wind doesn't look right.


I drew this sketch of an owl griffin using a very light grey Copics marker. The shape and flexibility of the Copics brush nib makes them very enjoyable to draw with. I like the idea of mixing different animals to create new mythical creatures. I normally use Copics markers with solid black outlines but think i will try and see what effects i can create without.


 I drew these owl griffins with a felt tip pen, although not as loose as the previous drawings i like the forms created in the sketches. I found an image i liked and decided to draw it repeatedly because I struggle with anatomy, my drawings often appear too staged or stationary. this process allowed me to isolate and change the parts of the drawing i was having trouble with. I think i tend to under emphasize the more predominant parts of the animals or people I'm drawing, drawing what i think something should look like rather than whats actually there. I am most happy with the second sketch down in the second column. The right front leg works really well as does the shape of the body and neck. The back legs need to be drawn as freely as the front. I think its a matter of confidence as much as anything else. I am going to keep working on this repetition to see where it takes me.

 

 this sketch is a similar composition to my repetition sketches. dashes at the top of the leg and on the neck add to the texture of the drawing giving a feeling of form. my favourite parts of this sketch are the textured lines making up the tail and the wings although I think I could refine the lines on the wings.


No comments:

Post a Comment