Friday 15 April 2016

Ella 5



I decided to try a few more character designs and try to make them slightly more subtle in terms of emotions. I looked at the date Alice was born and tried to figure out how old she would have been at the time of the quote, from what I could work out she would have been around 11 years old so a lot of the characters I have drawn would be way too young. I wanted to draw Alice looking calmer than in  my previous sketches. I also wanted her to look in awe of her surroundings and the chorus from the birds.



I drew a couple of birds in a similar style to the character and tried to make them look happy, I think it might be easier to apply simple emotions to as they are not associated with a wide range of emotions. With human characters one line out of place can change an emotion completely but with birds there aren't the same number of signifiers. I wanted to chose colourful birds so that I could use less of them in the composition but still have an interesting colour range.

I want the birds to be strong characters in the composition so I think having only two of them scaling them up to be larger in the frame than my roughs will work better and also help to make the composition less hectic and confused. I will need to make sure the lettering doesn't clutter the feel of the piece and detract from the characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment