Wednesday 11 April 2018

Polar book with text



This is the most recent and possibly final version of the book with text included. At this stage I have amended the text twice based on feedback but will aim to get more before the deadline. in the previous books I have written I tried to keep the text very simple to allow the illustrations to tell the story as much as possible but I felt that this book would benefit from a more detailed guide to make sure there's no confusion about the narrative.

I wanted the text to demonstrate the emotion and intentions of the dog and to clarify his thoughts throughout. Another important role of the text and something I needed to get right was to match and maintain the pace of the narrative alongside the illustrations.

I encountered a few problems writing the text for this book.
- Making sure the language used is suitable for children effectively limits the vocabulary of the book.
- I kept falling into the habit of over explaining or writing too specifically the details in the illustration. For example "the little girl says "look at the polar bear" pointing at the dog". The text and illustrations need to work together to tell the story, not to echo each other. The story will be more immersive if the reader needs to use both the text and illustration to understand the story.
- Making sure the text worked smoothly from page to page was challenging, creating a rhythm and making sure4 the scenes in the story didn't seem disjointed. this is the first book where I have been careful to explain how each scene leads on from the next and why the location has changed.
- I found it very useful to talk about the text while reading it with other people. This helped me to think about what someone seeing the book for the first time would want/need from the text. Taking a step back from the story and thinking about what I was trying to say in each scene, why is the character acting in the way they are and how does this relate to the previous/next page. The books text is still fairly simple but I have tried to make all the text included functional but without being too clunky or academic.

No comments:

Post a Comment