Monday 2 April 2018

More polar dog pages



- I have been testing out adding to text to one of the pages to show sounds the dog makes, I also tried shapes and illustration to try and communicate the dogs trying to roar like a polar bear. I still struggle with adding text to my illustrations, always feel that the text breaks up or unbalances the composition. That is one of the reasons I chose to keep the text and illustrations separate I this book. I would like to have found a successful way to communicate the dogs bark without text but so far have not managed to. I will have to keep experimenting.
- I have been toying with the idea of spreading the illustration of one or two of the pages across the entire spread going against my decision to separate illustrations and text. The reason I have considered this is for pages where I feel separating elements of the illustration will benefit the composition and help to communicate the narrative more effectively. I will also only attempt this on pages that contain little to no text. I am going to add the text now to make sure I am happy with the results and if not I will still have time to make changes.
- I have been struggling with the pages of the book where the dog is comparing himself to polar bears and finding similarities. These pages involve the dog looking at images of polar bears or reflections of himself. The illustrations I have made so far either seem slightly confusing ( the image of the dog looking in the mirror in my previous post) or the compositions don’t communicate the way I would like. I don’t like the dog facing away from the reader watching tv, but the side view fails to show what he’s looking at. I do think the illustration of the polar dog arriving home and seeing the differences between him and the other dogs could work very well, this could make and interesting composition and create a contrast between how he feels alone/different even though the other dogs see him as one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment