Friday 12 January 2018

Noughts and Crosses- Penguin



The Noughts and Crosses covers as well as its sequels ten to be mostly if not entirely made up of bold contrasts between black and white symbolising the narrative of the book. Another obvious inclusion id the symbols of noughts and crosses on each cover. It is tempting to continue these trends through my design and maybe moving away from them entirely would be a bad idea, however I would like to create a cover that stands of from the rest while still representing the main features of the book. The cover i have looked at on the most part I would not call particularly appealing or intriguing. The look more like school text books. The use of black and white makes the cover bold and create bold contrasting shapes. The designs are similar to street signs with their contrasting colours and use of shapes and symbols. I would like to create a cover that has more depth and texture, something that feels more hand crafted and adds more personality. I want to make the book appealing and intriguing, these covers appear quite cold. The difficulty will be making communicating the serious nature of the book with the correct tone of voice. I am going to rough some sketches and experiment with compositions to begin with. I tend to get carried away with creating finished images too early so in this process I want to rough out a large number of ideas before going any further.

No comments:

Post a Comment