Saturday 20 January 2018

Club 27 ideas

So far I have a couple of ideas I want to test out based on the career of Amy Winehouse.

The first is based on back to Black. The idea is simple, a black background with Amy winehouse with a mic stand highlighted by a spotlight. I want to use the negative space of the black background to create an intriguing composition. The text on the illustration could be black (dark grey) on black. She was heavily into jazz and I would like to create an atmosphere like an old Jaxon club in the composition.

My second idea is based on an interview with Questlove (the drummer from the roots). He talks about Amy Winehouse teaching him about jazz (something he thought he was already very knowledgable about). He says she had the idea to form a supergroup made up of herself, Questlove, Raphael Saadiq and Mos Def. I would like to make an album cover for that proposed supergroup. I don’t know whether to think of a name of the group myself or just use their individual names. I like the idea of making a cover for an album Amy Winehouse wanted to make, celebrating a group of amazing musicians and the possibilities of their combined work. I want to look at the covers they were featured on individually and famous jazz/collaboration covers. The hiring talked about selecting a specific part of their career. This idea does not fit that exactly but I think it celebrates something she wanted to achieve and her ability to cross genre boundaries in music, bringing musicians and fans together.

No comments:

Post a Comment