Thursday 3 December 2015

Mark Making 2

 For this piece I used a plastic nib paint pen hat works like a fountain pen on water colour paper. I have used these pens before and on certain surfaces the can spatter if used at a certain angle, if done right this can be a really nice effect and add some texture and movement to a drawing. I think the water and some of the shadows on the tentacles work well but I need to change the composition exaggerate the movement. I wanted the water to look like photographs of water taken with a fast shutter speed.i would like to work on a more detailed larger scale version of this piece.

This set of three images follows on from thew previous visual language task, I was truing to draw a version of a cat griffin type creature and struggles with anatomy of the cat. I wanted to work more on this and try to understand how to put together a character that even if not entirely anatomically correct, looked right! I Tried to use a combination a marks to communicate speed, movement and form. The spots on the cheetah really help show the solid form of the cheetah among the lines i have added to show its movement. Before I added the spots and shading the form was partially lost or confused within the composition.
For this next image i tried to redraw the cheetah vert quickly using loose layered lines. I realised that the shape i had created looked a lot more like a dog than a cheetah so stuck with it and added a couple of details to add to the character. I work a lot by building up lives into solid blocks so in this image i tried to use dingle pen strokes to show the contours of the form of the dog. I think the single lines work well but would be more effective if combined with a neater more detailed outline.
For the final drawing of the set I decided to switch to sold almost geometric lines. The image reminds me of old adverts for dog racing you would see in bookies years ago. I think the lines are too simple, uniform or even just too short to show any effective movement. I would like to try this again with a range of colours.I think that would open up opportunities to create and interesting form as well as movement.

This last image was lots of fun, it is a sharkgorillagoat? maybe? something like that. I like using copics markers and fin liner as a combination but I usually use them in a more more practiced,neat regimented way. I tend to use solid outlines in fin liner with multiple tones of copics to make blocks of shadow. This was an interesting experiment that I would like to follow up on with more thought put into composition and colour. I think an illustration with the darkest shadow made up of marker then combined with subtle tones of colics could be really nice.



No comments:

Post a Comment