Wednesday 18 October 2017

Thought experiment

 My work is focussed on digital processes, I have been using illustrator over the last few years building up illustrations using shape and texture. I feel that this process ahs caused my work to lack movement and a feeling of crafting and freedom that is appealing. I have recently moved away from this method and have been using procreate to make digital illustrations that are rigid and calculated. I have been enjoying this transition and think my work has improved but it has been a frustrating time learning new processes and I still fall back to methodology I have used in the past. I feel like I am trying to make illustrations do 100 things at once and that I lose focus of the overall aesthetic, composition and purpose of my illustrations as I build them up to finished product. I need to spend more time reflecting on my work throughout its development, stepping back and assessing what work s and what doesn't at regular intervals. Once I get find a brush or pen that I like I tend to stick to that one process and stop experimenting, and if something doesn't work straight away I often abandon it. I need to have more patience when experimenting, roughing illustrations and exploring ideas. This summer I have had a bit of a lack of confidence however I feel like I am starting to make some progress, I need to keep a few ideas in mind while I continue to develop my practice..

- Draw with freedom and experiment through media, composition and narrative.
- Reflect and regular intervals when researching, developing ideas and creating final pieces.
- Have more confidence, talk about my work.
- Have more patience, take the time to full explore ideas, compositions and processes, take a step      
   back when needed.






first illustration
-getting out into the industry (fear)
-stepping out of my comfort zone
-taking a leap of faith
-not knowing where my practice will end up



Second illustration
- trying to combine what I have learned to inspire my practice can feel like I am lost
- balancing act between different aesthetics and processes 
- unsteady
- goals just out of reach (feels like)


Third illustration
- frustrated
- not happy with work produced
- need more patience




No comments:

Post a Comment